Category: Wellbeing and Living in Ottawa

Ottawa has immunization requirements for school registration to protect children from disease outbreaks. Ontario has the “Immunization of School Pupils Act (ISPA).” This Act requires that all students in Ontario have proof of immunization against: Tetanus Diphtheria Polio Mumps Measles Rubella Starting in September 2014, children in Ontario will now need proof of immunization against […]

Inuit Family Health Team

As part of the Tungasuvvingat Inuit organization for Inuit community support, the Tungasuvvingat Inuit Family Health Team – Medical Centre is located at 300-24 Selkirk Street in Vanier. The contact telephone number is: ph: 613-740-0999 fx: 613-740-0991 e: [email protected] Website: Check out other services for Inuit by going to the Tungasuvvingat Inuit website.

Learn More »

In Ontario, children under 10 cannot ever be left alone. Children 10 and over can be left home alone for a maximum of 2 hours. This is not to be done overnight. Children 10 to 12 alone for a maximum of 2 hours. You should consider the child’s maturity and that they have no fear […]

It can be a big worry not knowing what your child is experiencing and whether you should be concerned enough for you to see a doctor. Call Telehealth Ontario. It is a free and confidential calling service where you get to speak directly to a registered nurse, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. […]

Your Healthcare

Health care cards: Most healthcare needs are covered by the province’s medical coverage, once you are a resident of Ontario. If required, private healthcare plans are available to cover specialized treatments that do not fall under the province’s scope of coverage. When you move to the province of Ontario, you need to apply for the […]

Learn More »

There are many options for housing in Ottawa. Inuit who do not own property in the North may apply for subsidized housing at the Inuit Non-Profit Housing Corporation which is located at 311 McArthur Ave, Suite 102, telephone 613-741-1449. Another possible source for housing is Gignul Non-Profit Housing at 613-232-0016. When renting, the common information […]

There are many dental clinics that take “N” numbers. If you need a dentist for yourself or your family, you will find a few in Ottawa you can go to listed below. If you don’t have or know your “N” Number, contact Tungasuvvingat Inuit at 613-749-4500; the Family Health Team Medical Centre at 613-740-0999; or, […]

Dental health for children from birth to 5 years old Plaque grows in the baby’s mouth even before the first tooth erupts and it is important to start good hygiene habits early. Baby teeth are important for eathing, talking, smiling, and holding a place for adult teeth. Help your child learn good dental habits Wipe […]

Ottawa Dental Programs

Need to see a dentist? Who are you going to call? Ottawa Public Health Dental Clinics For access to the Children’s Healthy Smiles Ontario program enrolment, call 613-580-6744, x 23510. This program covers regular dental visits and treatment for children under 18 yrs-old. C.I.N.O.T.–This program fast tracks emergency services and out of hospital anaesthetic coverage […]

Learn More »